Illustrators Image Portfolios: Public Health Education · Illustrators for Work Place Safety and RSI Injury Prevention · Cover Design for Children's & Youth Audience Books Photographers for Physical Therapists · Illustrators & Photographers Marketing Dentists and · Educational Programs for Illustrators & Graphics Professionals
Definitions: children's book illustration , "...any type of picture or decorative work produced for books specifically intended for a youthful audience."
[cite fr. www.answers.com/topic/children-s-book-illustration 2009.12.28 ]
Children's books are often illustrated, sometimes lavishly, in a way that is rarely used for adult literature except in the illustrated novel genre popular especially in Japan, Korea and France. Generally, the artwork plays a greater role in books intended for the youngest readers (especially pre-literate children). Children's picture books can be a cognitively accessible source of high quality art for young children.
Many authors work with a preferred artist who illustrates their words; others create books together, and some illustrators write their own books. Even after children attain sufficient levels of literacy to enjoy the story without illustrations, they continue to appreciate the occasional drawings found in chapter books". [cited fr. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_literature#Illustrations
Above illustration shows , Clara and Clarence Bear, children's characters promote flu vaccinations for very young children.
This graphic comes from all the world wide media news and emotions around the current Pandemic Flu called the H1N1 flu or "Swine Flu" From October - November 2009. See also ClaraAndClarenceBear.com for more from San Francisco children's illustrator Cat Wong.
The above illustration might be a suitable image as part of a advertising campaign related to choosing a medical doctor such as the book and related table of content excerpted below.
Anjolico the Wireless Cat, above promoting hand washing for children as a basic health habit
The above animated graphic is cartoon cat Anjolico, the creation of Tony Yau BFA MVA, in Hong Kong, China
Anjolico.com who has also been a successful business graphic's designer and creative director in Vancouver Canada and Hong Kong China, see some of his work also at Hong Kong Metrotown.info
Anjolico the Wireless Cartoon cat, says "Thank you to University of California Irvine, Health Centre, USA www.uci.edu, for using me and Tony's graphics in helping you promote more ergonomic work stations in your hospital and medical clinic administrative areas."
One version of the illustration you used is below to the left, titled Anjolico - Work Station Safety
For other UCI Health Education Center Information - see also www.health.uci.edu
Suggested Reading for Patients & Families
Choosing Your Doctor: 20 Critical Checkpoints
Author: George D. LeMaitre, MD, FACS
Paperback: 159 pages
Publisher: Infinity Publishing, USA (June 6, 2008)
ISBN-10: 0741445522 ISBN-13: 978-0741445520
TABLE OF CONTENTS
· Forward: STOP!! Check your doctor carefully - Very Carefully!
- The Evolution of Health Care "you must remember this..."
- You Get What You Pay For "the buck stops...where?"
- What is a Primary or Personal Physician? "the buck stops...here"
- How Not to Choose a Doctor "pay no attention to the man
behind the screen"
- How to Begin Your Search "can you hear the smile in her voice?"
- Can You Rely on a Doctor's Reputation? "round up the usual suspects"
- The Most Important Sign of a Good Doctor "look before you keep"
- Time Out for Some Objections "caring and curing"
- Finding a Doctor in a New Community "once upon a tim"
- A Good Doctor Works Hard "pulling a rabbit out of a hat"
- The Word "Doctor" Means Teacher "I have a question teacher"
- Thirteen "Diseases" That Can Kill You "an undertaker's dozen"
- The Doctor as a Responsible Professional "is there a REAL doctor in the house?"
- Let's Talk Money "pulse vs. purse"
- How to Avoid Surgery or at Least Live With It & quot;does your dog bite?"
- The Doctor as a Confidant "too hot to handle"
- What You Should Know About Drugs "more than a grain of salt"
- How to Get the Most from a Visit to Your Doctor "like herding cats"
- Underdoctoring and Overdoctoring "disease vs dis-ease"
- Epilogue. Dehumanism: The Core of Our Discontent "patients are people"
For more details on the book as well as excerpts go to Dr. LeMaitre's web site
You can order this book from
Dedication - Credits
This site is dedicated to the memories of all our parents and the people who gave us all the experience of what it means to be children in a world of images and words. N.C. 2010.01.05
- Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Award Winning Children's Illustrator
- Interior Designers
2010 Jan. 13 update
We welcome the participation and contributions to this site by San Francisco, Academy of Art illustration student Ms. Chie Yamamoto Boyd
Return to Top of Page
click on image of Cat to left - for introduction to Cat Wong
Credits: The material on this web site have been provided by a large number of illustrators, graphic designers and photographers including:
Tony Yau, BFA (York Univ. Toronto), MVA (Master of Visual Arts, Univ. Alberta, Edmonton) based Hong Kong, China
Tony is fluent in Cantonese Chinese with some Mandarin
- Published on web since 1995 with Pacific Rim librarians/archivists web magazines, Hong Kong News Papers, Corporate imaging campaigns e. g. Fuji-Xerox ads, Hong Kong City University, taught courses at Polytechnic College for illustrators and graphic designers, worked with, movie stars (e.g. Choy Sui Fun) with NGO fund raising for building/rebuilding devastated elementary schools in rural mainland China
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Malcolm Wong, MFA - resides in Tokyo, Japan
studied at University of Massachusetts, Amherst, then completed MFA in Art sculpture in Hawaii
www.dogeaters-manga.com Graphic Novel based on his award winning screen play
- read how Dog Eaters evolved from a screen play into a graphic novel www.dogeaters-manga.com/?page_id=5
- read intro to this fictional future novel
"Mankind failed in its first attempt to transcend the Petroleum Age.
The Die Off killed nine out of ten people worldwide.
One hundred and seventy five years later, civilization consists of scattered nomadic tribes, isolated casino-cities, and roving bands of predatory bandits.
This is the world of the Black Dog Clan." [cited 2010.01.24 with permission] fr. Malcolm Wong, author in Tokyo Dog Eaters Comic - the Black Dog Clan
- Neo Blythe Doll design, manufacturing and international marketing\
- Malcolm also helps administer a Tokyo based agency that manages and promote over 40 children's illustrators and graphic designers from across the globe
Cathi Wong, B. Sc. Organizational Behavior, University of San Francisco, USA
- 4th generation San Francisco, California native
San Francisco & Bay Area content editor for consumer contributions for tourism and resident services
- Author-advocate / illustration consultant / cover designer for children's and adult story writers
- Previous career as a large California corporation staff trainer and staff development programs designer, including distance education/training programs using networked TV
- Email: email@example.com
Christine Wong, in Metro Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Award winning children's illustrations
(education and training in illustration and graphics from Hong Kong Polytechnic University , as well as BCIT (British Columbia Institute of Technology - in interior design ]
Christine is fluent in Cantonese and Mandarin Chinese dialects
- John Evans PhD United Kingdom, Manager of the University of Papua New Guinea Book shop
- PNGbuai.com Papua New Guinea Books Useful Articles & Information
- Former director the U.N.P.G School of Library Studies
- "John Evans, a lecturer and book publisher within SPCenCIID and project leader for PINS-PNG, says that much of the research is published outside of the country [Papua New Guinea] and often does not make it back.
Webbing New and Traditional Knowledge on Canada's International Development Research Corporation web site
For more information about PINS-PNG or Pan Asia Networking contact us:
Project Leader, PINS-PNG
South Pacific Centre for Communication and Information in Development (SPCenCIID)
University of PNG
Box 320, University PO, NCD
Papua New Guinea
- UNPG Bookshop also handles a great deal in-house publishing and outreach work for isolated rural communities
- Neal Chan, BA MSW (Masters in Social Work, Wilfred Laurier University a.k.a. WLU, Waterloo, Ontario), Staff Development Coordinator & Staff Training Program Developer, Provincial Ministry of Human Resources (aka Ministry of Family & Children's Services, for BC Sunshine Coast, North Shore, North Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster, Coquitlam, Port Moody, Maple Ridge Regional and District Social Welfare, Rehabilitation & Adult Mentally Handicapped Service social workers, family support / child care workers and administrative support staff 1978-1984, Course work in Library Technician Diploma (Langara College, Vancouver, BC
Provenance.ca for librarians, archivists and information professionals founding web publisher 1995- 2010
Photographers and Children's Illustrators
Norberto Li, DDS
Dentist & Photographer